View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

I think Cherie excellently covered everything I might say, except I want to empathize with you Sheena, and share my experiences.

in the past, I've gotten a few of "the looks" from people who think I'm intoxicated on drink or drugs... and once had the police called, when I left the library with my three kids, after falling on the sidewalk...

I got pulled over a few blocks away, and thankfully, was able to pass a "breath test" and show the officer my handicapped placard, and my MEDIC-ALERT medallion.

it made my heart shrivel a bit, so... I now carry a stylish black cane, which has almost eliminates the snide innuendo and comments.

I was handed a card from a woman in the supermarket checkout line for a battered women's shelter, due to the Betaseron bruises on the backs of my upper arms (they looked like I was grabbed and injured, sorta like fingermarks, I guess?)

and once I even got carted off the ski slopes in a stretcher, by sneering and jeering emergency staff who thought I'd gotten sloshed in the bar (it was a nasty episode of VERTIGO)

I was vomiting and getting spin-dizzies, and couldn't stand up... quite frightening all by ITSELF, and not helped at ALL by the attitude of those who were supposed to be helping me.

the ski resort staff wouldn't let my children into the First Aid hut to see me, because THEY decided somehow that I was a bad mother, a bad influence, or just irresponsible... and that frightened my children, quite unnecessarily.

adjusting to MS is hard enough without having it made worse by ignorant and judgmental people, especially ones in positions of authority.

and especially if one is at all sensitive to "the looks" and the comments.

hang in there, and keep your chin up.

Nolite b*stardes carborundorum (Don't let 'em grind ya down!)