View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

As Cherie has already mentioned - I assume it was thought you were on drugs or alcohol.

The whole incident was handles very poorly and unprofessionally.

In my opinion - Write a letter to the Superintendent explaining every thing that took place. Also explain you have since been diagnosed with MS and send along some information about MS and if need be a letter from your neuro.

If it was me I would also express the shock and dismay of how the situation was handled. Mentioning the ADA may also be helpful

Does the school have handicap parking (hc)? Do you have a Handicap license plate of placard? If not then get one or both.

If they do then park in HC parking. Request you daughter be released to walk out to your car because of your difficulty in walking in to get her (remember the ADA). If you don't want her walking out by herself then the HC parking allows you to be closer with less walking.

My children were born after I was diagnosed.

For a few years I had one of my children in a Charter School, the other had moved on to another school. I dropped off and picked up daily. When I picked up I always parked in HC parking - I could always see my daughter and she knew where to find me.

There was a parent who had a child in a wheelchair. This parent felt she had the right to a HC parking spot even if there were cars parked legally in them.

I had the assistant principal come out to my car one day and tell me I could not park in HC because they were for the parents of HC children and I could be fined when the police are called.

I told her I am parked legally and she says "you don't have a placard" I told her I have Plates . Even after she looked down at them she said I was still parked illegally.

I asked her if I hung my cane from my car entenna would that make it more "legal"

Anyway I stayed in that parking spot, went in to get my child released 15 minutes early and then went in to the assistant principals office. I was down right ****** off. I told her how dare she tell me I can't park in HC parking, I have been legally able to park in HC for 19 years and what right does she have to tell me I can't.

I left her office with my daughter still quite angry because I had been having problems with that one parent for most of the school year, she had even confronted a friend of mine and told him to tell me I can't park in HC.

On my way out to my car the "parent" was staring at me, I looked right back at her and said "You are such a *****" did I mention I was mad

The school superintendent was standing with her at the time (I didn't know who he was) he followed me to my car and introduced himself. I told him what happened and he said he had been hanging out at the school for about a week and has seen nothing wrong in where anyone is parking including me.

That was on a Friday. Over the weekend, after I had calmed down I wrote a letter to the superintendent apologizing for my behaviour but explaining I do not deserve to be treated as I have. I go to the school, park in HC, wait for my daughter and leave. I don't bother anyone and I would appreciate it if I was left alone.

I was not bothered again. The school had 2 parking spaces designated for "parents with HC children." Those 2 spaces were at the end of the regular HC spaces in the first row.

Sometimes you have to fight for what is right.