View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
A little while ago, there was suddenly a hot, acrid smell in the house. It scared us half to death. We were sure we had an electrical fire somewhere. Then we realized it was coming from a twist bulb in the hallway that had just gone out.

I did a little research and Consumer Reports said that very rarely these bulbs will smell, turn dark, or smoke (!) when they burn out. I didn't know that.

And I never realized until lately that one has to be very careful if one gets broken--don't use a broom or vac, for example. *sigh*
I absolutely hate the CFL bulbs. I'm starting to stockpile incandescent bulbs. I'm completely ticked off that I'm going to be forced to use those useless lightbulbs in a few years.

They hurt my eyes, they give me headaches, I dont want to have to go thru a lot of carp to clean up a broken bulb, and I think they cause more damage to the environment than incandescent bulbs do.

I certainly dont want to have to call Hazmat to come clean up a mercury spill from the bulb if I drop one (I have MS, it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll be dropping at least one of them in my life)

The light that comes from those bulbs is just so annoying. My dad put a couple of those in our kitchen, and in a few light fixtures in the upstairs. I've been making him remove them. It drives me nuts that the bulbs take about 5 minutes to warm up and put out light that allows me to be able to see.

When I turn on a light, I want the light to actually come on as soon as I flip the switch. I dont like having to wait 5 minutes before the light comes up so that I can tell the difference in the colors of my t-shirts.

Can you tell that I dont like the CFL's?

The only reason we're going to be forced to use them is because some people in California forced congress to sign it into law. What are they going to do if I have an incandescent light on at night once they're no longer available...and they see it thru my windows? Are they going to send the light bulb "police" after me?

At least if the incandescent blubs get broken, you can just sweep it up or vaccum it up and not have to go thru a lot of carp to avoid the mercury exposure.
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote