View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile New and looking for info on Post Herpetic Neuralgia

Hello:
My name is Erin. I just discovered NeuroTalk while searching the internet for information for the relief of nerve pain (post herpetic neuralgia) from a bad case of shingles a year and a half ago. I've tried almost everything available, including acupuncture, hypnosis, body work, every imaginable homeopathic remedy and I own more topical creams than a drug store. The shingles started up the back of my neck and spread up my neck and over my left ear. What complicates it for me is that 30 years ago I developed Alopecia, which is hair loss. It turned out to be Alopecia Universalis, which left me with no hair on my body...anywhere....no, not even "there" :-)....I am still a very active real estate agent and I've worn a wig for the last 20 years. This relates to what I'm saying because without the wig, I feel no nerve pain. But when I put the wig on, because it goes over the nerve pain area, the pain is quite severe and almost constant. I have a very high pain threshhold and a very positive attitude but the constancy of the discomfort is affects the quality of my life. I just finished treatment for breast cancer and am doing great. Chemo was the pits, but taking it one day at a time, I got through it with flying colors....so far..:-). While I was on chemo, the pain subsided and was almost gone...so I happily thought it was gone....but alas, now that the drugs are getting out of my system, the nerve paid is back again.
I am not here for sympathy. I gave you my experiences so far so that if anyone can relate, it might help to know my history. I have learned so much from each of these "conditions" and am grateful for the difference each of them has made in my life. But I am here to ask if anyone has found anything that works for Post Herpetic Neuralgia. Or I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has or has had experience with PHN.
From reading previous posts, it sounds as though you have a very caring and supportive group of advisors and members. I am very happy to have found you....
Looking forward to hearing from someone who can relate
Erinda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote