Thread: Pain meds?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering again Julie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans View Post
.......But since it's nerve pain (?) I don't know if conventional pain meds would work for that.

I also suffer from nerve pain. For me it's optic nerve pain, and although I take an anti-epileptic medication regularly, I do still get really nasty pain from time to time.

My doctor started me on Oxycodone which must be very similar to Hydrocodone, (except it's not a medication that I'm familiar with, and I'm not sure it's even available here in Oz). I've had no ill effects from the Oxycodone even though I suffered a very nasty broncho-spasm from Codeine, and now list that as an allergy.

I've heard it said that opiates will not help nerve pain, but believe me, I'm proof that they can. Initially my neurologist was surprised to hear I was getting relief for nerve pain with Oxycodone, but he told me that although it's unusual .... it's not unheard of, and he was happy for me to continue taking them.

Toradol (Ketorolac Tromethamine) was formerly used here in Oz as non-narcotic treatment for moderate pain, but I've not seen or heard of it being used for many years now. It may still be around, but I only retired from hospital work 6 months ago, and it was at least 5 years prior to that since I last saw it used. There's NO Codeine in that medication Cherie.

I hope you get some relief soon Julie. Nerve pain is the pits!

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
momXseven (03-03-2008)