View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I certainly have to agree with Cheri and Doc that self testing is unwise. But I would like to consider the following:

Primates have lived outdoors since we crawled out of the oceans. The light irradiating the earth (at sea level) at high noon is about 1000 watts/meter2.
This is equivalent to 100 mw/cm2. Using the graph in the article I mentioned in a previous post (http://heelspurs.com/led.html#str2) on page 7, I estimate the total power from 600nm to 1200nm to be 60mw/cm2. That is 100mw/cm2/nm times 600 nm.

Standing outside in full sunlight, and assuming the UV is blocked by sun screen, the energy one would be exposed to over a one hour period in the near infrared range is : 60mw/cm2 X 3600 seconds is 216 Joules. A Joule being defined as a watt second.

I'm using a 50 Watt Halogen lamp with a built-in parabolic reflector in my own experiments. A "back of the envelope" calculation gives 300mw/cm2 over the 600nm to 1200nm range(near infrared). So a 10 minute exposure is about 180/cm2 Joules of energy.

So putting this all in perspective 10 minutes under the lamp is about like one hour outdoors.

A few cautionary notes: (1) All the harmful UV rays have been filtered.
(2) These are rough calculations. I don't have the equipment to verify the numbers. (3) I have NO medical training. I am a retired EE.

These are few of my thoughts. Hopefully we can leverage our collective knowledge to hone in on something useful.
artman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote