View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSword View Post
Personally, I think that the Marine and his/her two buddies should be made to work at an animal shelter for 5 years, no time off for good behavior...something that has to do with animals and that they be fined for every animal that has something happen to it while they work there.....whether its their fault or not!

I couldn't bear for something to happen to one of our dogs, and if I was faced with an allergy to them...I'd seek treatment for the allergy, NOT get rid of my dogs....not saying you did anything wrong in re-homing your puppy, not all allergies are apparent right away....and as you said, it might have been too soon after losing your other dog to try getting a puppy. I know I have to wait awhile before we get another after losing one. (Still cry over one I lost in 1975, she was so special.)
I returned that puppy (a Yorkie Terrier) because we'd only had him for less than 24 hours. The breeder told me that if I had any problem that she had a return policy. I could get our money back and she said she'd make sure he'd get a good home.

My Bouvier's breeder had the same guarantee (and it was for the life of the dog) She always told us if we ever had to re-home Tiny, to call her and she'd help...we never had to do that with him, but it was nice to know he wouldnt have gotten the short end of the stick if there had ever been a problem with him.

Almost all reputable dog breeders have similar guarantees. Most breeders will not give the money back after the dog is no longer a puppy, but most will at least be able to help find the dog a new home. It's similar to the Lemon Laws when you buy a car. We returned the puppy fairly quickly as soon as I realized I had an allergic reaction to him. (hives, lips swelled up...)

Oh, and the other big reason for giving the puppy back, it was way too soon for me to get a new dog after Tiny died. I was really an emotional wreck for a few months after Tiny died. The day we adopted that puppy, I thought having a new dog would make me feel better. It didnt. I felt worse. Like I was forgetting Tiny. I had to have time to recover from him dying.

The allergic reaction was what convinced me to give the dog back. I think my dad was a lot concerned about me that evening. I was watching the puppy sleeping, and crying my eyes out. I felt bad because Tiny had died, and I felt bad that I'd adopted a dog and had changed my mind and I didnt know how to explain it to my parents or how to explain it to the breeder.

I almost turned around a couple of times when we were taking the puppy back.

Now I wish I could have kept him. My dad was really impressed with that puppy.

I'm doing some more research on different dogs (leaning toward a pug. My aunt has one, and the pug doesnt trigger my allergies. Pudge comes over to my house for sleepovers sometimes), and I just found out that Tiny's breeder is breeding one of her females again. I'm not sure I want another Bouvier again, even tho I think Bouviers are the best dogs in the world. I'm just not sure I'm up to the work and training involved with another big guy like Tiny was.
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote