Thread: surgery #64?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We're home for now. NS agrees that the shunt needs to be moved. His thought is it may be irritating a certain area like the liver or other vital organ. They are in the process of scheduling a laproscopic surgery to move the cath a little, nothing major. 2nd issue- not quite sure whats going on in her head, she may be having shunt failure, but the mri scans still looked ok, with svs, she rarely shows vent size change so we are on high alert for shunt failure, he wants us to wait 2 to 3 weeks for the laproscopic to make sure she won't need a revision, and in that case they would take care of both at the same time. New issue-apparantly her cranial expansion has some defects. Three of the suture lines are collapsing and her skull actually looks like a bowling ball, with three finger holes, he was pretty upset about it. Its more of a cosmetic issue than an actual health issue so next revision(we're so optimistic aren't we) He can fill that in and reconstruct her skull again, or do it when we want to. It is very obvious, but nothing pressing. If her shunt truly is failing her will take care of all three in one shot, not that I am hoping for a revision but 1 surgery would be better than 3 more. Thanks for all your info, at least we finally have some answers. My new job starts Wednesday, so dad is going to fill in for a while with the doctor trips.(Scary thought), don't get me wrong he is a good dad, but not very observant or familiar with Hailie's medical symptoms, conditions and medications, I guess he's never had to be up till now. Prayers for him, he is in for quite an eye opening. take care everyone.

visit us at:
hailiesmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote