View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momXseven View Post
I have had allergies since late childhood/early teens but this past summer they got worst and this is the 1st winter that I had had to take allergy meds every day. I just can't believe how bad it's gotten.

And you know I'm now sensitive to meds, I use to be able to take anything but some how about a year ago I became allergic to a lot of pain meds (you can read more on that under the Pain Meds thread). 2 years ago I take Vicoprofen for my fibro pain and now if I take it I itch so bad that I almost cry.

If I eat celery now my lips swell up and get hot. This also started up in the past 2 years.

I really feel like I'm just falling apart sometimes, LOL.
I'm sensitive to some medications...I have an atypical response to novocaine. It takes FOREVER for it to start working on me, and then my body will metabolize it very quickly. My old dentist used to have to give me the entire syringe of novocaine, and instead of working immediately like it does for most people, I can sit there a half hour and it still wont have taken effect.

Once it does take effect, it wears off in less time that it took for it to start to work. (this will make getting my amalgams removed kind of interesting, and probably painful, in a few weeks)

If I take a narcotic pain med, it'll knock me to the floor fairly quickly, when other people will still be able to stay awake and move around without looking totally wasted.

I had a few years where I suddenly discovered a bunch of food allergies. Things that I never had a problem with before. The weird thing is, that when my dog died 2yrs ago, all of a sudden the allergies lessened in severity and some seemed to go away.

I was having allergic reactions almost every day for the last couple of years of my dog's life...always after I would eat something.

The only thing I can think of, is that I was allergic to TinyMonsters, and the allergy might have been compounding my allergies. (dog allergy + X allergy = a worse allergic reaction)

I've played with a few different breeds of dogs. The ones with longer hair seem to be the ones that trigger my allergies. The shorter haired dogs (pugs, chihuahuas...) dont seem to cause me any problems.

A lot of my food allergies seem to have gone away. I still react to shellfish, but the pizza sauce at my favorite pizza place doesnt seem to bother me anymore. (I dont get sauce on my pizza at that place anymore, because I discovered that I like the pizza without sauce...less greasy without it)

I do wonder if 9yrs of living with a walking, shedding allergen named TinyMonsters might have been what triggered whatever immune response that's going on in me. I dont know. I can think back to before adopting Tiny, and can remember some weird MS-like problems. (I've had dogs my whole life)

I wont be surprised if they ever discover that an allergic response is what triggers the immune response that happens in MS.

I do think there's more than one trigger for MS. I think there has to be a certain combination of these triggers that somehow "turns on" that immune response. I wont be surprised to find out it's an environmental trigger, since where you live seems to be a factor too.
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote