View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tracy,

Some of the best meds for nerve pain are actually indicated for epilepsy, but have been found to be VERY effective for nerve pain - Neurontin and Lyrica, the newest, are among them. You might say you've been told that meds for seizures/epilepsy are being used for nerve pain, and ask him if any wd be appropriate for you - KEEP pressing him!

Vicoden MIGHT help, although it probably won't be much use when pain is that high - that's my experience, anyway. Oxycontin is the only thing even touches it.

I'd suggest asking for something to relieve tightness in your neck and shoulders - what you're really asking for is a muscle relaxer, Zanaflex is very effective and often RX'd. But in SMALL doses during the day, and you may need to titrate it slowly. Otherwise you'll be too relaxed for anything but a loooonng nap, just ask Victoria

Do you take the Effexor at bedtime? If so, you might ask if you can split it up, taking it 2 or even 3X a day, to keep it at a more even level in your bloodstream - the Effexor also helps with nerve pain as well.

Those are the 4 mainstays: nerve pain med (anti-seizure), pain med, anti-depressant and muscle relaxant. Some are RX'd a quick-acting break-through pain med for flare-ups between scheduled pain meds. And some have PRN (as needed) meds for when sleep is on vacation or a really bad flare comes on - you know, the 2-3 day or longer, kill-me-now headache variety. I have Valium 2mg RX'd for sleep problems, but use it only when I MUST, cause I'm out for hours when I take it. No way I would be able to get up to see my youngest daughter onto the bus!

All meds work differently for each person, Lyrica is working fine for me. Neurontin did too, til I had some really RARE side effects. The muscle relaxant I wd think will be no problem for him to agree to, and the nerve-pain med maybe as well. Most Drs don't like to start you on more than 1 or 2 meds at a time so if there are problems they know what is causing it. It's a fine line we walk, trying to get what we need without ticking off the Drs whose mercy we're at - takes a real diplomat!!

Best of luck,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote