View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer View Post
I saw Dr. Sanders yesterday - what a great doc! He spent about two hours with me, talking and testing. He gave me a pec minor block and ALL pain disappeared - first time in almost 4 years. I couldn't believe it! Dr. Machanic's testing verified the diagnosis of pec minor syndrome, and as soon as I figure out the details I'm going to schedule surgery in Denver - hopefully in April.

Dr. Sanders thinks the pec minor tenotomy will take care of all my symptoms, but if not, I can have the elbow redo later. He says I shouldn't worry about losing any hand function yet as there is no sign of that. I'm kind of confused about why my muscles are fine, and my grip strenght is good, yet I have trouble opening jars, writing and sometimes playing piano. Must just be from the nerve entrapment?

Anyway, I'm so happy that I paid attention to y'all who told me to go to the best!
You may want research myofascial trigger points. Since you play piano repetitive micro stress comes to mind.

Trigger points cause the muscle to become shorter and tighter. This limits the function and mobility of the muscle which causes weakness, decreased circulation and pain.

Neurological problems can also originate with tight muscles and fascia that can entrap nerves.
Based on your description the following muscles come to mind that could cause the hand and lower arm weakness: Scalene-especially the anterior, Sternocleidomastoid, Brachialis, Supinator, brachioradialis, opponens pollicis and adductor pollicis.

Nerve entrapment of the can be caused by the following muscles:
Radial nerve entrapment:
Cutaneous branch from the Brachialis muscle.

Sensory branch from the tricepts(lateral Head), and extensorcarpi radialis brevis muscles.
Deep motor branch from the supinator muscle.

Ulnar nerve both motor and sensory branch entrapment from the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle.

The Brachial Plexis from the pectoralis minor, omihyoid, scalenes-anterior and medial.

The greater occipital nerve can be entrapped by the Semispinalis Capitus and Trapezius – upper fiber.

The sternocleidomastoid alone can cause hand weakness.

Characteristics of a trigger point:
1.Exquisite tenderness in a taut muscle band
2.Referred pain elicited by stimulation of the trigger point
3.Local twitch or contraction of the taut band
4.Reproduction of the patient's spontaneous pain pattern when stimulated
5.Weakness without atrophy
6.Restricted range of motion

You may want to research this type of pain and dysfunction. You may have access through your medical library to the Travell & Simons’ Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction Trigger Point Manual Volume 1: Upper Half of the body and Volume 2: The Lower Extremities ISBN 0-683-08363-5 and ISBN 0683-08367-8

Best wishes.
painfree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pianoplayer (03-08-2008)