View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It all sounds so heartbreaking.

About the dust I wonder if you could wear a HEPA air filter mask? Here is an article:http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hc30.html
Quote:
Construction workers who sand drywall joint compound are often exposed to high concentrations of dusts and, in some cases, respirable silica. Drywall joint compounds are made from many ingredients (i.e., talc, calcite, mica, gypsum, silica). Some of these have been associated with varying degrees of eye, nose, throat, and respiratory tract irritation. Over time, breathing the dust from drywall joint compounds may cause persistent throat and airway irritation, coughing, phlegm production, and breathing difficulties similar to asthma. Smokers or workers with sinus or respiratory conditions may risk even worse health problems. When silica is present, workers may also face an increased risk of silicosis and lung cancer.
In older buildings there is the posibility of asbestos and lead paint. I know my walls are painted with 3% asbestos (1977). But at least you don't have to worry about that. My sister was quite ill working in her building because of paint fumes.
Leslie
Leslieand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote