View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Newbie looking for answers for an 8 yr old Son with Focusing issues

HELP! I have a beautiful, loving, very happy go lucky little fellow named Dominick. Heres the challenge. Academically he does very well. When it comes to his test he is for the most part an A- student. The challenge he has is that he can become distracted and according to the teacher he has difficulty getting back to task at hand. When he is on, he aces everything, but can become quite easily distracted. He tips his chair in class and likes to day dream. But he is at grade level in reading, math and all the other subjects. He is respectfully and socially does well as well. He is a happy go lucky kind of guy, quite popular as well. Teacher feels he has some attention/focusing issues. He sometimes gets up from his chair for no apparent reason. He raises his hands during discussions in class and his response has nothing to do with the topic being discussed at the time. At home, he has a good home life. He seems to well and healthy, except when he does not want to do something, he lets his emotions cloud his thinking and has a difficult time getting back to task. Example: he was doing a math word problem. He wanted to finish so that he can go spend time with his dad, so he got the answer wrong because he overlooked some details. I called him to task and to do it again, he was upset and cried a bit. When he finally realized that I would not allow him to go do what he wanted until he finished the math problem, he then got to task, completed it and then laughed realizing how simple it was. Unfortunately, in school, they work within time constraints and a math problem that should have taken him 3 - 5 minutes took him 20 minutes due to his feelings and coping with them. He does poorly on quizes just because he is not paying attention in class. But when he comes home and studies, he then does well on the tests and on projects. Any insight????????
fparker119 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote