View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fparker119 View Post
Thank you so giving me some comfort. He has such a great spirit about himself. Am total against medication, which is what the school likes to do, and want to make sure that I am on track with a solution. I have changed my diet to coincide with his to keep it simple for him. Looking for recipe to make his eating fun. Any suggestion on a good gluten and sugar free bread and pancake mix?
Hello fparker and welcome to NeuroTalk

What your sons school wants you to do for Dominick, well, it's not their choice - it's yours.

I understand you feelings about medicating your son but I would like to offer a different perspective....if you don't mind.

I would like to recommend you get your son evaluated by a Child Psychiatrist - you might find your son is not ADHD but this is just normal for him or he could just be bored. Not uncommon for alot of kids in school now a days.

If your son is ADHD there are other options - Ocupational Therapy (OT) can help children with ADHD (ADD). And of course the option you do not like - Medication.

Children with ADHD (ADD) are very smart and it's not uncommon for them to be up and doing things they are not supposed to do. Yet, if you ask them what has been discussed they can tell you.

The medications for ADHD allows these children to focus on what is going on and to be totally tuned in. The medications for ADHD (ADD) calms the childs mind and allows outside distractions to not be a distraction but the medication does not "hype" the child up nor does it make the child a zombie. Their thoughts are no longer scattered which happens with ADHD (ADD)

Children with ADHD (ADD) have a problem with impulse control. They tend to act or re-act before thinking about the consequences of those actions.