View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelzer View Post
for responding! I was reminded (with Cherie's response because of the family help) that my MIL also was saying how I could pass the MS to the kids. I don't think it's been proven one way or the other, has it? I am going to talk to all the dr's before getting pregnant. Thanks again everyone for your responses.
You can't pass on MS. If you have a parent with MS, you have a <5% chance of getting it as well. What they think is that you inherit a genetic tendency. They theorize that you inherit a gene or group of genes that if they get turned on (virus, chemical, environmental triggers), then you develop MS.

My mom has it, I have it, my brother has it - but I have two sisters that are just fine. Despite that, I'm still considering having one of my own. The risk is there, but it's low. I'm already 36 and probably wouldn't actually give birth until around age 39, so I'm more worried about those risks than the baby having the right genes to develop MS.

I actually just looked it up today and at age 35 it's a 1 in 400 chance for having a child with Down's, at 40 it goes to 1 in 100. That really scares me.
greta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote