View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPenguins View Post

The TOUCH people have totally not been all that helpful to me, to be honest. I feel like I get a run-around every time I call.

Anyhow, they are booking me at a center that is NOT close to my house at all....And I live in a major metropolitan area...and that's the best they can do for me - is to send me far away...which is frustrating b/c there is a TOUCH-approved center within 2 miles of where I live - but it's "Full".

What does that mean - "full"?? It isn't making me happy that I will have to travel 30-45 minutes for this when there is one within 2 miles of my house.

~Keri
Hi Keri!

Is it possible that the infusion center you want really is full? Most infusion centers are used for oncology and other infusion services and they may be truly scheduled out. In the case of Tysabri, you have to have it every 28 days, so they must be able to book you a spot on a regular basis.

Other TOUCH infusion centers are one chair in a neurologist's office. They may only be able to service their own patients.

In my case, I go to a 4 chair oncology infusion center, 25 miles away. It was one of the first to be certified in my state, because my neuro insisted that they service his patients. I've gone there for steroid infusions, I know Crohn's patients use it, oncology patients use it, and other patients who need infusion services. The other two that were certified were 100 and 175 miles away from me and they were based in the neurologist's office. If the neuro wasn't MY neuro, I couldn't get into either of them. More have been certified since then, but they are few and far between here in Maine.

If you feel you are getting the run around from MSActiveSource, ask for a supervisor. They work for you and they get paid a LOT of money to provide services, but they cannot pull a rabbit out of their hat if there isn't an infusion center available that has openings and can provide the schedule needed. The infusion centers aren't run by MSActiveSource, they only certify them and provide training for TOUCH.

Your neurologist may also be able to help. Ask if they are planning to add infusion to their services. Tell them what is happening and see if they can help find a solution. Contact your local hospital and talk to them about your problem. Ask if they are willing to provide services, or expand so you can receive service there.

Please let us know how it turns out. There may be more help available if the above doesn't work for you.

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!