View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Nickel from caps, crowns, braces & MS

I'm wondering how many others here have had "metal" caps, crowns, bridges or braces throughout their lifetime?

I have a mouthful of dental work, and recently realized that I have been ignoring an infected, capped, root canal for well over a year. In the process of researching the potential repercussions of leaving this type of infection untreated , it came to light that many of the dental procedures (not fillings) use "stainless steel" (translation nickel) in them. Nickel could be toxic to humans.

Apparently the easiest test of whether a person is particularly sensitive to nickel is if they can't wear cheap earings. I can't.

MS occurs most often in women and the ratio of women to men has grown even in the last 20 - 40 yrs. Women are more likely to invest in this expensive & cosmetic dental work (many men might just the tooth pulled instead), and/or to wear earings.

So, I thought I'd throw the questions out . . . for either/both genders to answer:

1. Have you had bridges, caps, crowns or braces that may have contained nickel?

2. Are you aware whether you are sensitive to nickel (i.e. cheap earings)?

NOTE: There has been talk of mercury from fillings in the past, but this is the first I've read about nickel.

Cherie