View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Up in the

'STICKIES' is post #13, full of the different kinds of meds used to treat various PN pains....http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread177-2.html
I am not sure if this will take you there, but...going thru the stickies might help you learn about what mite or mite not work for you.
I myself tried neurontin, topamax and then keppra...the last was my 'charm'. Tho I don't think it's for everyone. Lyrica hadn't been 'out' when I went onto the Keppra, so I've no experiences with that. Recently I titrated [tapered off] of the keppra for other medical reasons and really have found that my 'pains' are no different from when I was on it! Strange that.
As for any medication you go on? I would ask for 'samples' try them and see if something nasty happens rite away [This HAS happened to me so I urge anyone to try this route]. I find that I've saved my $ and the insurance $ by doing the try, before buy route.
Also, you should be very aware and cautious about any other meds you take for other issues plus whatever you take for the PN. I really suggest that you go and read all, I mean ALL the fine print regarding the 'prescribing information' for EACH medication. That is the only way you can work to be safe for your treatments. IF you have any questions about any meds? Call their 800 numbers and well, be prepared to first wait on hold about 5-10 minutes then answer a bunch of questions about each med you are on etc. This may sound invasive in ways, but at the same time, these drug co's really don't know you and what's going on w/you...they DO want to help, inform you and reassure you ...at the same time alert you to possible problems with any issues of their med and Meds A, B or C. Best to be safe than sorry is my motto.
My own example was the prescribing of Effexor for s/e's from another med. Reading up on it? I decided NO WAY am I taking this given all else that I'm on and have to deal with. It was a smart move in retrospect....for me. I never filled the script, nor took any of the samples.
Hang in there, lots of finding what will work for YOU is thru trial and error. The neuro/PN sciences aren't that precise and aren't that astute in terms of what you mite need. So, please hang in there and know there are options!
Hugs and all! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote