View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Great articles jo! You are the expert googler.

Ok holly I also googled some things and did a little reading because I was not familiar with spasticity or reverse lordosis. So forgive me if whats below is too basic.

Spasticity is a disorder of the body motor system, and especially the central nervous system (CNS), in which certain muscles are continuously contracted. This contraction causes stiffness or tightness of the muscles and may interfere with gait, movement, and speech.

Now I am just applying commons sense since I dont know much about it, but based on spasticity being related to muscle contractions that sure could be putting pressure on those cervical nerves even pulling them in certain directions causing pain.

Depending on how the muscles are contracted or spasmed they could be pulling on your ribs and putting pressure on the brachial plexus which would be related to TOS.

Again this is just a guess and common sense.

Here's what I found on reverse lordosis

lordosis is a medical term used to describe an inward curvature of a portion of the vertebral column. Two segments of the vertebral column, namely cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back), are normally lordotic. That means they are set in a curve that has its convex side to the front and the concave side to the rear. your curvature is going in the opposite direction, resulting in pain.

So both could be contributing to your pain.

You complained of pain in the biceps which has dual innervation, from both C5and C6, and therefore they should evaluate the vertebrae, the disc and nerve roots.

And having a small frame and and large chest can contribute to kyphosis....bad posture which could be putting extra pressure on those nerves. Kyphosis is a curvature of the upper spine....in youngins it is called slouching, in oder people it is like when you see them hunched over often called dowagers humps. Thats an extreme version. But reverse lordosis plus any kyphotic posture could again be putting unnatural pressure on those nerves. It says kyphosis is reversible by correcting hte muscle imbalance...ie better posture. I have a farily large chest and often have to correct my posture.

I think what Jo recommends about a repeat MRI is good. I would add x-rays as well and ask the doc to check for a subluxation. Also ask him to do perform some of the TOS tests where thay have you do certain things with your arms and then check your pulse. I dont remember the official names of the tests but I think it was Adson's maneuveur. That would be a good start and make sure he addresses both TOS and any spine issues.

I would keep that neuro appt. Good luck

Last edited by watsonsh; 03-07-2008 at 04:20 PM.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinz (03-07-2008), hollym (03-07-2008)