View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi Daisy,

Your symptoms sound familiar to me. I don't have celiac disease, but do have gluten sensitivity. I think it is a good idea to have the celiac panel run in case you have a positive result. But, if the blood tests are all negative... I would encourage you to read some more here and do a dietary trial .

If you are having tingling in your legs and arms...that may be peripheral neuropathy. This can be a result of gluten sensitivity, and also of B12 deficiency, among many things. Since B12 deficiency itself can cause GI symptoms, I suggest you ask your doctor if he will test you for that as well. B12 deficiency, methylmalonic acid, homocysteine. Be sure to get your lab results yourself. You want a B12 level that is upper range. An elevation of methylmalonic acid or homocysteine can indicate a B12 deficiency even with normal B12 levels. There is a B12 deficiency thread in TGF, too.

THere is a great AAFP article called Detecting Celiac Disease in Your Patients on the first page of The Gluten File... it is my favorite review article.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote