View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

(((((((((((((((Beth))))))))))))))))))).

Let me first say that I am not trying to sound like I'm judging you. I have a 12 yo dx'ed with autism nearly 10 years ago, and I have my own neuro conditions (listed in siggy). I know all too well how it is to have to manage a serious health condition and deal with a child's serious disability, but the fact is that as parents, we have to. It's our job.

I was completely overwhelmed with the idea of managing my hypoglycemia, epilepsy, and hydrocephalus at the time of Drew's autism dx, but I also knew I had to, as well as parent my then-5 yo daughter, keep a house, maintain a marriage, and keep from drowning in self-pity. It was, to put it plainly, a living hell. I was afraid I'd never get on top of it all. I'd come to from a seizure and be scared to death my son had left the neighborhood!

You won't be able to manage her issues unless you get a proper dx, and I agree with you that ADD/ADHD is the "disorder du jour," so you'll have to stand your ground and fight for an accurate assessment and dx. Only then can you (and she) start to handle her areas of difficulty. I think counseling would help her, but also, see about getting a developmental ped or ped neuro to assess her.

Something else you said caught my eye: her sensitivity to fabrics of certain types. This may be a sensory integration issue or even an allergy. Ask the ped for an Occupational Therapist eval, too. In any case, you'd be doing something to figure all of this out and help her, which would help you.

Good luck!

LIZARD
LIZARD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote