View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi Beth....

(((HUGS)))

My six y/o son (going on 14 ) is very strong-willed too...which is a good thing, really, if channeled in the right directions...but it's the channeling part that kicks our butts! And I'm known to be somewhat strong-willed myself, so many are the times when my son and I are nose to nose.

Hmmmm...your comments about the clothes, shoes, etc. are familiar at my house too. Our biggest battles are in the mornings, getting ready for school...I've had to start buying him size 10 jeans (he's really an 8) because he's so 'clothes sensitive'. And socks!? Oh, don't get me started.

My game plan is to just remain consistent and follow through. I'm finding that certain loss of privledges works better now at this stage. Last month, it would've been 'going outside', but this month it will be 'computer time'....he loves his Hot Wheels CD-roms, so I get pretty good mileage out of that one.

Not long ago, I had asked my son to pick up his stuff, and he locked eyes with me (I'm in a wheelchair, so he's already looking down to me), snarled his lip, and calmly said, "Make me." I then proceeded to grab up the front of his shirt, thinking, 'I don't care if this paralyzes my other leg too, by golly I am gonna make him!'.....and this ol' mama did just that. Thought I'd better nip that one in the bud while I still can!

It's difficult, to say the least, to deal with these things when you're in pain. It's so easy to 'let this one slide by...just this once'...I've done it myself. But I'm now on the better side of the pain (now that's an oxymoron!) and I'm trying to be more consistent with the discipline....and more generous with the lovin'.

I wish I had more concrete advice to give, but as you can see, I'm in the midst of some of the same issues.

Blessings,

~HM