Thread: Walking aids?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default To Ride or Not Ride.......

in October of 2006 the doctore ordered a scooter for my husband, the INSURANCE Company deemed that THEY thought he didn't need one!! Therefore they said he wasn't getting one.

In January 2007 I found a scooter, used, with several accessories, and a ramp and electric hoist, all for $500.....the lady was understanding and let us make payments on it, it was basically new, needed batteries, but that was no big deal. Original cost with all the goodies was $6800....this scooter even has changeable baskets, one is the standard one that would maybe hold a purse and water bottle, the other is about 2/3rds the size of the ones on the mart carts at walmart! (I had made three regular payments, and then a lump sum final payment when we had a minor windfall, the lady who was so sweet to us, passed away about two weeks after I paid it off.)

Anyhow, to make a long story short, about six weeks after we got this used scooter, the medical supply place called and asked if we would be home the next day, they had a delivery to make....the long awaited for scooter that the doctor had ordered. We decided to keep the used one, I have good days where I walk for all my shopping, and I do need the exercise, but I have that occasional bad day with sciatica that the scooter has been a life saver and I am grateful we decided to keep it. Everyone and their brother said we should sell it, so I didn't become "dependent on it"....it is there if and when I NEED it, I don't use it anymore than I absolutely have too....but it is a comfort to know I won't have to wait for my non-existant insurance company to tell me NO....hubby has insurance through his SSDI and for me to get insurance, the state wants my whole retirement check and part of hubby's disabilty to cover me....ain't gonna happen, so I just don't dare get sick!

Ever alert to our needs, they nap nearby at a craft sale, they are with us every place we go....

CrystalSword is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
momXseven (03-11-2008)