View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default levaquin, bactrim and sulfa?

So I had a reaction to levaquin a few years ago and the doc tells me I am allergic to sulfa. So I go along telling docs that I am allergic to sulfa.

Then at one of my C-spine injections the nurse asks about the sulfa allergy and tell her about it and she says levaquin does not have sulfa in it. She even went and looked it up. I still always said I had an allergy to sulfa and levaquin to cover all bases.

Then at another procedure (different doc) I am also told that levaquin does not have sulfa so I assume that I am allergic to levaquin not sulfa.

So last week I am given Bactrim for a UTI and take it for 3 days and on the 4th day my lymph nodes in my neck swell up, both sides in front of and behind my ears and start to swell in my neck. Very very painful.

I call the docs office on Sat they say it is something going around and it is not the medicine. So I take another one after that and still feel really bad so I quit taking them. Also had bad headache, diarreah, some itching not alot.

So by Sunday afternoon I am feeling human again but I am left to wonder...does levaquin have sulfa and can a reaction to it causes such severe swelling in my lymph nodes? Sorry this is so long but I have read and read online and I still am not sure. Thanks...Sue

Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. - Narrator (From the movie Matilda)

snoozie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote