View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink Early detection and RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55 View Post
Feel free to post your story, your RSD history, or an introduction to the forum members.

Welcome to the RSD/CRPS forum.
I am very fortunate to have had my RSD detected early; one month post-injury. I cannot imagine having gone another day without any validation of the severe pain I was in. I felt like my doctors messed up by not finding it sooner so I greatly sympathize with all of you struggling through each day.

I also think it is important to tell some cases of early dx so some who receive early diagnosis aren't scared away from these sites. In this manner, we can call benefit by knowing what worked quickly and spread the word to more friends and doctors. When I first received the diagnosis; I stopped reading a lot of these websites as I got really scared. I still am but know that with my early detection I am in a much different place and thank god for my miracle.

I dislocated a 2nd or middle toe; a little traumatic of an er experience; needle all the way through foot; dr tried to unsuccessfully reset the toe a couple of times w/o bracing and b/4 novacaine set in.... However, heard it eventually pop in and he said I would be driving the next day; sent me home w/o crutches. Well I couldn't walk and the orthos (I saw a few) kept telling me it's a painful injury and come back in Mid March (My accident was on 2/5) Thank goodness for a podiatrist who referred me to a neuro and gave me a script for an MRI. She told me I had classic RSD. My foot had blown up. I couldn't flex or extend it. It was locked in a 90 degree angle. I could not feel or move my toes. It was red and blue if I extended it down. I could only use crutches for 45 seconds. My only experience was a knifing nerve pain that occurred all day and night. I was a wreck. I was taking sleeping pills, pain killers...

Most people were like come on, a dislocated toe, suck it up and get better... I have a friend who said, go to more doctors till someone gets it right b/c this is not right. People kept saying how many drs are you going to go to and my friend said who cares, go to a 100 if you have too. Think of your children, you would do the same for them, do it for yourself.

So I was dx'd on a sat. I went for an MRI on Monday that revealed a neuroma and saw a neurologist that same day who confirmed the RSD. Then on Tuesday I spoke with my podiatrist about the MRI, who said we are not going to worry about the neuroma b/c the real issue is the RSD and that may subside if we treat that first. (Another dr. may have performed surgery on the neuroma; casted me and I would have been another six weeks out b/4 getting a true dx). So I begged and got into a pain managment center (called and called and kept calling till I wore them out to fit me in) on Weds. and insisted on an appt and had an injn to the spine. Get knocked out. If I didn't I would not have been able to lie on my stomach due to the pain in my foot. I still sleep on my back.

My husband thought we should just do a consultation first as he was nervous if the dx was correct and about a spinal injn) I felt confident with the doctors b/c I called every friend and made them call everyone they knew including drs to get the best center for this condition in my area. Fortunately, for me my RSD is sympathetically mediated, meaning after having the block my foot immediately responded and I could move it, flex, extend, wiggle toes slightly, I could feel it. I cried I was so happy after. Then I just went to the closest PT place. Didn't have time to pre-schedule. I begged and said I hadn't walked in 4 wks (the truth) and the dr said PT was critical especially right after the block. I have a wonderful compassionate PT and am now 1 week later walking with a crutch. My foot is still very sensitive, larger, went from a 6 1/2 shoe to an 8 on my left foot. Sneaker feels very heavy. But with a padded shoe I can now one week later stand ony my foot. It is amazing. I am having a block again tomorrow (one week later) and hope with PT to have this in remission. The injection has no steroids or corizone. I don't have the name in front me but it begins with a b.
My doctor truly believes that I will be in remission after this next shot. Of course I will have to be careful. My foot is still tender but it has come an amazing distance. When I say my PT 2 days later; she was amazed at the rapid healing. My foot is getting definition; the coloration is essentially normal; each day I could move another toe. I can small shocks in the foot especially with weight or trying to walk normally but I am optimistic that I can "beat" this enough to live a careful painfree life. But education to all is key. For that reason, I think my story is important, but it does not take away from all the pain that the rest of you have on a daily basis. So I hope that I have not offended anyone and I am not underestimating the power that this condition can harm one.

Clearly knowledge and transmission of these cases is power. I will post a letter that I intend to send to doctors in my area (including of course the ones that I saw). If anyone likes it, feel free to copy it and send it along. If it educates one more doctor maybe one more person will be diagnosed early and have a better chance of a quick recovery and entry into a life of remission.

Good luck to all and may this message empower someone who is pondering whether or not this condition is present or whether they should continue with local injections as opposed to the spine. Ask around for the best doctors; ask the doctors who they like best and then call those doctors to see who they go to or refer patients to in pain managment and anthesiologists.

Lisa
kinzkid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote