View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momXseven View Post
I have a cane but I find it doesn't help much and makes my arm/hand hurt. I just can't use a walker. DH is fighting me on the scooter thing, after all I can walk very well most of the time. Also I can't deal with the scooter having the handle bars, my arms can't handle it so I really would have to go to a power wheel chair. When I'm tried I get wobbly and my legs get weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momXseven View Post
I wasn't the one pushing the stroller much at all until the end of last year (when I saw I needed something to lean on).

If this dependance "on something to lean on" has only been going on for a few months now, how can you know already that you can't adjust to a cane, walker or scooter?

Have you been tested for strength, and are you losing any . . . or is this percieved necessity mostly about the numbness?

Although my whole body is numb much of the time, I still have only resorted to aids on a few occasions. Dragging an electric wheelchair around is a huge undertaking and expense . . .

At least you have the vehicle for it though.

To be honest, Julie, I would even attempt to look after 7 kids for a day, let alone take them out anywhere. I just simply couldn't.

Either way, you said that you walk very well most of the time, so what you need to do is isolate when you are experiencing this problem. Can you manage with another type of aid for those few occasions? Is this a short-term problem that you don't need to throw $5,000 - $10,000 at to fix? Is there another alternative?

Frankly, I wouldn't agree to that kind of expense for myself, YET, and I have struggled with walking for 5 yrs already. The problem is that more you count on these vices, the more often you will depend on them.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (03-11-2008), Kitty (03-11-2008)