View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fighting PD - Rock Steady Boxing

TenaL, Thanks for your interest in Rock Steady Boxing. My real name is Paula.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago ... symptoms 2-3 years previously, as is common. My primary symptom is tremor on my right side, have slight stiffness on right now, am VERY fortunate to have had a slow progression, still work full-time and do everything I ever did ... just with a bit of a shake.

Rock Steady Boxing (RSB) opened their doors to 5-10 folks in October, 2006. I was there. Although I consider myself to be fairly physically fit, I had never attempted to stick with a regular exercise regimen in my life. It's one of the hardest things I've done. In fact, after going to classes for about 3 weeks, I was out of town and missed the next 2-3 weeks of classes. I decided I wasn't going back ... it was too hard ... took too much effort and commitment. Then I got 'the call'. The founder, Scott Newman, called me on the phone and harassed me into returning. I am forever indebted to Scott for that call!

Rock Steady Boxing provides a free, boxing-based fitness program in Indianapolis, Indiana to approximately 70 people each week who have Parkinson's. I have been involved with the program for a year and a half. Since starting I have noticed an improvement in my posture and gait. I'm also more agile, stronger, and feel more physically confident (I think folks with PD understand what that means). I have witnessed improvements in every person who has stuck with the program for at least a couple of months. One 60+ old gentleman, Romeo, shuffled in with his head down on the first day. Two months later he was more upright, had an immensely improved gait and could jump rope! Too cool!

The workouts do not involve hitting other folks. They do involve hitting heavy bags and speed bags (my passion). We also jump rope, do jumping jacks, do 'Chase the Rabbit' (from inside the boxing ring we move sideways around the perimeter, then someone yells ..... 'SWITCH' ... and we switch directions), do pushups and crunches/sit ups plus work out on exercise/weight equipment. I sweat and am exhausted at the end of class. My tremor is aggravated for 30-60 minutes ... but better for 2-3 days!

Rock Steady is more than a gym. It's an unofficial support group. Everyone there is fighting for the same thing - to be able to do tomorrow what we did today. To not let this beast get the best of us. And we are winning!

The camaraderie is like none other. If Fred falls, we help him up and carry on. If Anne is having a bad day, we cheer her on. When my hand tremors, no one seems to notice. We are as one ... fighting together ... pushing our bodies to their individual limits. We are winning the fight against Parkinson's!

The stories of Kristy Follmar, Executive Director, professional boxer, and trainer; Scott Newman, person with Parkinson's, founder, politician and attorney; and Vince Perez, Golden Gloves boxing champion, trainer and attorney; are a story for another day. They have an undying commitment to people with Parkinson's.

Wow! Enuf! The classes are offered free to people with Parkinson's. Rock Steady Boxing relies heavily on donations. If you know of any individuals, Foundations, etc. that we might contact, PLEASE let us know. The link you previously posted will soon be available on youtube - add www and a dot to beginning of site and a dot plus com to end (I can't post URLs cuz don't have 10+ posts to the site .... argh) There is already a video there called 'The Battle' that tells the story of Rock Steady Boxing.

Can you tell I'm passionate about Rock Steady? uh huh rocksteadyboxing - add www plus a dot to beginning of site and dot plus org to end
lizzy4451 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (03-13-2008), lou_lou (03-12-2008)