View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi Dorrie,

I am not diabetic but I recently had a 2 hour glucose test and I was borderline glucose intolerant and insulin resistant.

Plus diabetes runs in my family so its time for me to get it together and start watching my weight, what I eat and time to exercise.

I recently started a low dose of metformin to help the insulin resistance.

Shelley
Say Shelley, is that like being sort of pregnant? Truly, I mean no disrespect. I would think that if your glucose intolerant and insulin resistant that you are Type 2 diabetic, which would make sense that the doc put you on Metformin. Is your doc in denial or just wants to keep you in the shadows so as to not upset you?

Some old fashioned doctors are still trying to tell their patients that they are borderline. It really upsets me that they are not being totally up front with their patients, especially with an illness as serious as diabetes can be. There is no such thing as being borderline. You either are, or you are not diabetic. Type 2 is able to be controlled, and sometimes temporarily reversed to some degree, through diet and exercise. Medication can help this early process as well.

I hope your getting to see a nutritionist and diabetic educator as part of your health care team. You can always use all the help and guidance possible in dealing with diabetes.

Wishing you well always.

Carolyn
prettypearlgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote