View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New type of shunt

I was wondering if anyone else has a 'gravitational' shunt like me? It's a brand new type. I used to have a Codman programmable VP but I overdrained so badly I got slit vents. Then my NS told me he'd got a new model (less than a year old) from Germany called a Miethke proGAV. It's a VP programmable but works based on gravity and automatically regulates pressure whether you're standing or sitting so it limits posture-related overdrainage. Also, I don't have to reset it after an MRI scan or after going through airport scanners as it's resistant to even the heaviest magnet...the valve has no magnet although it's still programmable without surgery. Apparently the tubing is wide so blockage risk is reduced. Only had it a month but already my vents are back to normal size and I'm not overdraining for first time in 4 years! Apparently it's so new it's only been in the UK less than a year. I'll soon see if it's as miraculous as they make out!! Just wondered if anyone else has it or knows of anyone who has and how they've found it so far. I feel a bit like a guinea pig!!
Spiritgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote