View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi and thanks ladies,

I developed Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and RSD from complications of a tetanus booster reaction in 2003. I now have RSD body-wide, but my arms are most painful, with muscle wasting and nerve damage. During the endless round of Drs, tests and therapy, a couple of my PTs' observations sent me to a geneticist, who confirmed something I had sort of suspected. I have a hereditary connective tissue disorder, similar to Ehler's-Danlos or Marfans but unnamed as yet. My heart checked out just fine. But I have long arms and legs for my trunk size, and am double-jointed in most small and large joints, have adult-onset scoliosis and pre-menopause severe osteoporosis. Also a high palate with too many large teeth in a small jaw.

My maternal aunt, uncle and grandfather were positive for sx, and both my daughters are as well. Both were delayed in fine and gross motor at preschool screening, but only in areas where the hypermobility came into play. My oldest, 15, can do everything age-appropriate except for rope-climbing and pull-ups. My 11-yr-old still has trouble with fine-motor skills and has terrible hand-writing, but readable, and can't do pull-ups or rope-climbing either. Neither could ever master the monkey bars. And they frequently pop joints partially out of place, or bend ankles, but because the tendons and ligaments are SOOO elastic, there's never a sprain. I was just like them, but had NO CLUE why.

My mom still doesn't believe any of this! ANyway, the connective tissue disorder involves a collagen deficiency. I suspect, based on what I've learned from many sources, that I reacted to the thimerosal in the Td shot. I did ok with earlier tetanus shots, but in a reaction it is to the accumulation of mercury in your body, and the load of mercury in the shot is the tipping point. Also, for the earlier shots I was younger and had more muscle mass, which helped prevent the toxoid from getting through to the faulty soft tissue.

Now my girls both had several more rounds of immunizations than I did as a kid, many of which contained mercury. I believe Haley, the 11-yr-old, has some minor damage related to the mercury in those shots, the hypersensitivity to clothing being one sx, disorganization, mood swings, crying jags. She was born a week and 1/2 early, 71/2 lbs, seemed fine, but became jaundiced and we came to discover she was tongue-tied and couldn't nurse or suck from a bottle. What a nightmare it was to get her tongue clipped - the pediatrician accused us of child abuse for wanting it done, even though she was clearly losing, not gaining weight at 2 weeks! We finally located a sympathetic oral surgeon.

She has such a high palate we were fortunate she wasn't born with a cleft lip though. So there are certainly some things genetically and otherwise going on. However she functions very well in school and with most peers and is very bright. I am hesitant to put her and her sister through the genetic testing because if they are labelled with a hereditary connective tissue disorder it might make it very difficult for them to get insurance once they are on their own, or get full coverage.

Both girls are highly capable, talented, fully functioning kids. I just need help handling this younger one and her behavior cause she wears me out. I don't sleep well due to pain, and have little energy, am on several meds, my pain averages 5-6 daily and she wants to defy or debate every single thing I ask or tell her. Or we do something together on the weekend, have fun, and an hour after we get home I hear how I never do anything for her, never do or buy or allow her to do anything SHE likes, she doesn't like me and wishes she didn't live here and off she goes to her room in tears, mad, and NOT doing whatever it is I had asked in the first place which is something like starting her homework or setting the table.

Lately almost every night has ended with her mad and upset about something - and I'm reaching the end of my rope with her! Guess it's something to talk over with my counselor - she may have some ideas. There is a really good counselor for strong-willed kid's here, but costs lots of $$ which we don't have - squeaking by right now.

I'm in the damages phase of a settlement, but my lawyer says it could be quite a while yet - may even go back to trial - God, I pray not!
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote