View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Any feedback much appreciated please

My now 12 year old son, is diagnosed with OCD, Tourettes, ADHD (this is being questioned now), Dyslexia, and possible Aspergers round the age of 9 - 10. He was on Stimulants for 3 years and that did seem to help somewhat. He also has anxiety issues. He is on an antidepressent as he was self harming and having suicidal thoughts, at end of last year we started him on a mood stabiliser, as he was having extreme highs and lows. We have since stopped the stimulants. Since the stabiliser he seems to have hardly any lows now which is fantastic, but we are still getting extreme highs, where he will do inappropriate behavior and will not stop talking etc... We are under an excellent psyciatrist and psychologist where he goes fortnightly for therapy. The more I read about Bipolar I am wondering if he will eventually get a diagnosis of this. He has been out of school for 2 years and has just recently started back with a teacher aid. Since the mood stabilisers he has started to enjoy life again by even wanting to go to a friends house first time in years..... does this sound like bipolar symptoms. They are now questioning the ADHD diagnosis because he does not seem to be high all day but will have high periods. Hope this all makes sense.... any feedback advice much appreciated. He also had night terrors until the age of 11.

Thanks in advance Jackie (New Zealand)