View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Here are some articles on burning mouth. There can be a lot of reasons for it, however, like burning feet, if you have neuropathy, it is not an unexpected nor startling find. My first inclination should have been to ask you if you ever had thrush, but, I assumed you thought of that. Sorry.

You can explore the many reasons listed in the articles, especially the first one below, as it could be a clue as to where your neuropathy is coming from. I likely have a hereditary case, however, prior to arriving at that conclusion (which will be tested for eventually), I did look at the many reasons for burning mouth, and Sjogren's was seriously considered and I did have the lip biopsy which was abnormal but no inflammatory infiltrates.(That biopsy is very painful, beware! And it was not due to burning mouth but the other symptoms of SjS) I have had no inflammation show up in any biopsies nerve, muscle, fat, nor anything inflammatory in blood. I had one oddball ANA, once. I have one other test coming up, and that could potentially uncover some autoimmune process, however, I am not holding my breath on it.

Interestingly, my case came on AFTER minor dental work, and my tongue hurt so badly I called the dentist to ask him if a nerve could be injured. "Of course not', was the reply, LOL. He acted like he never heard of a burning mouth or tongue.

Anyway, it seemed after that, the tongue thing resolved, however, ever since, I have had burning mouth off and on, and to be honest, it has become like a sneeze...'Oh here it is again'. Actually, I have it quite a bit, it is like background noise. Much like many of the crazy things that happen with PN. I may have had burning mouth prior, but, it wasn't until it felt like someone pierced my tongue that it got my attention. (Why do kids do that to their tongues?? Is life not hard enough? At least the belly button you can see, and put in a pretty jewel, not unlike the earlobes....and yes, I have been informed as to why people pierce their tongues....won't get into that discourse here.)

I am scheduled for an EGD and manometry for esophageal issues, which I described in a post regarding gurgling, which, apparently other people don't seem to get with their PN.

The mouth is full of sensory nerves. I also get facial numbness, a tugging sensation, severe pain in the pinna of my ear, hair standing on end, tingling lips. Also can not drink anything cold and mushy. There seems to be a bit of a trigeminally type pain with some of these issues...also, apparently the vagus nerve has some terminus in the outer ear area. No one has a good answer for me, other than PN, and it isn't for me, my most pressing issue. I have to prioritize my issues, and this one for me is at the bottom of the list, given my other concerns. I look at is, as simply, ''it is".

I don't have a lot of mercury containing fillings left in my mouth, having had them slowly replaced by crowns. I don't know how you feel about those. I am not a fan of silver fillings. My recent dentists no longer use them. One told me he stopped using them 20 years ago. Interestingly, if you have dental insurance in this country, it often will not cover the non-meurcury fillings...you have to pay not to get the nontoxic stuff.

I don't think these fillings caused my body wide PN, as I was 'born' with RLS, and what I call 'toe cramps' and family members also have these gifts. But I wouldn't put any mercury in your mouth. My college student son who was sent to war, was sent to see a military dentist, who read some one else's x-ray and did 2 root canals on his perfect and beautiful teeth...and stuck in mercury fillings too. The kid had perfect, beautiful, white, aligned teeth! Nothing wrong with them. 'OOPs' is what they say. Some poor soldier who needs two root canals is out there, and probably nastier than ever. No, you don't sue the army.

If your burning mouth like mine, is simply PN, and you want some relief...I do not usually recommend products on here, but the Biotene line of products, if available in your country, is very, very good. I notice much less burning and annoyance with my mouth when I use these. They do cost quite a bit however.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bur...462/DSECTION=3

http://clinicalevidence.bmj.com/cewe...background.jsp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17967714
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megan (03-15-2008)