Thread: Raw milk
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have to admit, 'time sharing' a cow, is really a unique way around the rules and legal in many states. I wonder if you get your designated time to come and milk it?

I would assume that goat's milk fed to preemies is also pastuerized. I can't picture hospitals assuming the risk for unpastueurized milk.

People are upset about E. Coli on lettuce and spinach, that E. Coli is coming from manure, taken from the barn and spread on the field, and that manure comes from real close to where milk is coming from....and when it comes out, it splashes. It doesn't come out in a cowpie....it comes out in a cowsplot...and if you are anywhere near, you get splotted. No matter where your cow is standing, the udder is capable of being contaminated, and you are pretty much at the mercy of how well that udder is cleaned and how well the equipment is cleaned, and the container is cleaned.

Most farmers maintain very clean milking parlors, and adhere to very high standards, however contamination can happen in the best, cleanest dairy. I think organic growers likely pride themselves on how clean their farms are. That is still not the issue.

I am very pro natural, pro organic, pro local family farm food, just be very careful.

Immunosuppressant medication can cause havoc with normal human flora, let alone organisms that you are not used to or that cause disease in normal immune system functioning folks...it seems risky.

I don't recommend any one water bath can either (with the exception of a few things)....they did that long ago too. Pressure canning is the only reliable method of not poisoning yourself. Even with that, I keep my jars without washing them for 48 hours after we use the contents, in case one of us gets sick, so we know what strain of botulism we could have ingested and anti-toxin can be easily identifed and located. You take the jar to the ER with you and they can identify the organism.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote