View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 12:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Daniella, what part of the state do you live in?

The coastal slope from Oregon to San Diego has soft, reasonably humid air, though not as humid as the South and East Coast. The actual coast, again from Oregon to San Diego is cool (not freezing) and damp year round. Mark Twain quipped that the coldest winter he ever spent was July in San Francisco. The summers on the California coast are almost as cool as the winters, and tend to be windy and foggier, sometimes bone chilling even at 55 degrees, but good for the skin.

The mountains have harder, drier air, especially away from the coast. Even here in San Diego, where we lived in the foothills (Ramona), the air was quite harsh and dry, especially in the summer. Here in Southern California, we get periodic autumn and winter Santa Ana winds which give my wife and me nose bleeds and make me irritable.

The Central Valley was desert before irrigation and regularly gets well over 100 degrees in the summer. Of course, our deserts are hot and dry or cold and dry depending on the location and season. The desert and Central Valley are beautiful, especially after a rain, and our mountains are drop dead gorgeous, but it would be hard to live there with PN and with the dry skin and eyes that come with aging.