View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 02:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

QUOTE=dreambeliever128;236522]Someone, I think Sandel put up a website awhile back. I can't think which one it is. My brain is very tired tonight. It talked about the new problems being seen with the ketamine. I will try and find it.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't try different things. But I do believe being put into comas for days isn't the answer. That just seems to scarey for anyone to me. It's not been ok'd here and I have mixed feelings about it being done.

As far as HBOT, I meant they were the only other thing being offered and there seems to be a reason they aren't being paid for by the insurances. I was told by my social worker that most insurance companies follow what Medicare does so I am wondering why they haven't approved this yet.

Ketamine might be good as shots, meds but as I said, I worry about the coma issue.

I am just trying to figure why these illnesses are just falling by the wayside.

Ada

It was Lindecker that put up that information. Go into Rocky Mountain RSD/ CRPS website and read all of the pages. It's pretty interesting. This lady is kind of documenting treatments of different ones in the group as they have them done and it tells the good and bad of them.[/QUOTE]

Ada,

Ketamine coma as you know is not approved by the FDA in the US or Australia.The reason for this is not the drug itself but the risk of the coma. Being in induced coma for a treatment that may or may not work is still thought to be too controversial for our countries. However Ketamine as a sub-coma/awake 5 day Infusion is documented as a treatment which is proving to have a lot more going for it than against it.
As you know we use it almost as routine here in Australia with zero morbidity as a result and a whole heap of success.

Despite Ketamine coma not being approved here there are still many people willing to travel to Germany or Mexico where Dr Kirkpatrick refers many of his patients. There are some wonderful stories of the successes on RSDhope web site.
It is one of those really difficult choices we may be faced with--whether our pain is causing such issues to our lives and health that we would take a risk.
I am really not sure what I would do if Coma treatment was available here.

The HBOT has only just been approved by Medicare for use in Australia for CRPS. There were ways to get around that before by claiming it was being utilised for the signs of poor circulation and it was usually approved.
You read some stories about it's benefits but I truly believe it is like most CRPS treatments and the earlier in the disease process then the better the result will be.
I had marginal pain relief from mine which did make me happy but as it was already over 11 years since I was diagnosed I didn't get the lasting relief some people who had treatment with me got.

My hope is that all of us will one day be able to access the type of care for our CRPS that is likely to bring about success.
Cheers
Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote