View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Award Letter

OMGracious, it's such a relief to be understood!

I feared I'd be taunted, but to be understood and believed? and all in the same breath? Its so gratifying. Thankyou so much for your reply!!!!

My SIL has been in therapy for the past 7 years for OCD, and hubby just got his diagnosis of PSTD last week, after seeing a psychiatrist for "anger issues" for a year.(Nothing physical toward the family, just emotional anger issues). My aunt was a chair-person on the Western Kentucky Regional Mental Health Board for years before she passed away a couple years ago, so I've always had the "knowledge" that mental issues were a disease no different than diabetes or a heart attack.

But just having the knowledge, and knowing it deep down in your heart and psyche' are two different issues all together, ya know? Anywho, thankyou so much for your understanding, it is totally appreciated.

Yeah, I totally get the "should be able" mentality. Both hubby and my SIL are both highly functioning, even with their impairments. He's a salesman for an electrical company he's been with several years, and she's in her 3rd year of law school. "They have 'issues' but they function and function well in society..... so why cant I?" Has been my mantra for several years now. Ya know?

Well, I got the award letter (finally!) from SSI. My "disabilities" as defined by them are Visual Impairment and Affective Mood Disorder. Which, after me and hubby discussing it with the case worker, doesnt tell us much ROTFL. I mean, I know the vision issues. But the AMD is pretty much a blanket pre-diagnosis, if I understand correctly. Because the psychologist couldnt come up with a indepth diagnosis with just the one 45 min. interview and no past medical records.

So from what she said, I guess the next step for me is to find a PCP to get started with, and after a more through exam decide on a psychiatrist or psychologist, or maybe both?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I am totallly open. This is a creek I've never swam in before, and I'm looking for anything I can find LOL

Thankyou again, and God Bless Us.... Everyone!!!

Dawn