View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

snoodles I wish I had a magic answer for you, I really do but unfortunately I can only offer you my story. Being sick is bad enough, but when faced with life changing situations such as not working it makes it all the worst. You have to do what is best for you, not what everybody thinks you should or shouldn't do.

I am 41 years old and 22 years after graduating high school I got my Associates Degree, plus carried over enough classes that I only need 2 semesters to finish my Bachelors. The next day I got married and 3 days later moved from small town TN to Houston. Less than a month later I was dx'd with ON then another month came the dx of RRMS. Talk about things changing fast! Here I was looking forward to starting a new career and moving on with my life and now I walk with a cane and can't drive very far, haven't been anywhere by myself in almost 6 months. Thank God for an understanding and loving dh!

I have a great neuro that right away told me to file for disability. I argued with him that I didn't want to, I didn't want to feel like I was having other people take care of me. He explained it to me this way....file as soon as you can, it might take a few tries before your given disability....also at any time you're better and able to return to work you can always stop the disabilty payments. He told me that disability is there for a reason and it is not something to be seen as shameful. Needless to say I filed, on my own (dh had to fill the papers out cause I couldn't see well enough to) I was honest about how I feel and what I go through on a daily basis. I didn't exaggerate but I did explain everything as though it was the worst day I'd ever have. It took about 3 months and I was approved first time. It was such a relief when I got the papers that I just sat and cried.

There comes a point when you have to say I've done all I can do for now and I have to put my health and well being first. It's not a sign of weakness. Don't let the NP or anybody else discourage you. Talk with your neuro or any other dr. you may see, get copies of all your records and start the process. Don't give up just hang in there and know you are doing what is right for you.

I'll apologize now for this long post that seems to have gotten off track...sometimes my fingers get very talkative!

I'll keep you in my prayers,
Susan

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (03-15-2008)