View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation working around TOS/Brachial Plexopothy

This is a thread that was started in the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) Forum, but due to it's content needed to be relocated here. It's a repost of sorts. TOS is a condition that can limit the use of one's upper extremeties, neck, shoulders and is incredibly painful.

I heard on CNN some Dr talking about how the brain is most stimulated by the hands - your tactile senses fire the most neurons in your brain, and you have more nerves in your hands than (anywhere?) else. With us TOSsers, we are losing/have lost a great deal of feeling in our hands... thus the brain is being stimulated less and less. Not good for the brain. I find myself unconciously rubbing my hands on 'textures' to try to 'feel' anything. Like somehow, subconsiously my brain is needing some sort of very basic stimulation.

It's my theory here, that foreplay causing... what I like to call 'core stimulation' (pleasure centers that stimulate the center of your brain/nervous system) is firing neurons? in my brain that seem to lessen my pain! On a normal day my pain level is at a 6 minimum. Seems like if my core is stimulated enough, I get a pain level of 5 for 2-3 days! I think not having to exert myself physically (no bad ergonomics) is key. Endorphans...? I wonder if this is different from what the SCS does? Dr.A has said the SCS is my last option for pain control and I am not keen on the idea.

Any thoughts on this?? Does anyone else notice a decrease in pain levels if you don't hurt yourself in the process? Anyone have helpful ideas? Since TOS hits mostly women, what are the limitations for guys with TOS? Surely this will cross disabilities... could affect RSD, arthritis... many other suffers.

Had lunch with BF at his work. I mentioned the topic at hand as I had told him about my hypothisis and how I wished I had you guys to bounce the idea off of. I asked him if he would be a willing participant in my experiment. He said "Anything to further the cause of science!".

Please, will the other posters from the old thread repost here? It was such a good and truly helpful thread!!
Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-17-2009)