View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
... IF you over achieve, doing too much too soon you can do MORE damage, a thing none of us wants, ever...

I was told over a year ago by a 'second opinion' guru that IF I HAD X diagnosis, I HAD to be in a wheelchair.. my response was, I got the treatment I need, and I am too durn stubborn to give up in that way... I can drive, walk [not far tho]and can tryto be my own independent person...I DO NOT see any fat ladies ... singing my demise of late...

Good thoughts, heart and strength to go on -we all get there-whereever 'there' is! - j
On the first part, a neurologist told me I couldn't damage my nerves with exercise, no matter how much nerve pain it caused. That inspired me to walk again, eventually several brisk miles a day, ignoring the pain. If I hurt more the next day, I eased off. Having PN doesn't protect us from overuse injury, muscle pulls, etc.

The second part is inspiring and is an important lesson to all of us. NEVER ACCEPT A NEGATIVE PROGNOSIS FROM ANYBODY, ESPECIALLY FROM A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL! Even if they mean well and only want us to be realistic, their ignorance is greater than their considerable knowledge, they don't know us profoundly in all our individual complexity, and their negative statements can be self fulfilling. If people believe their negativity, they give up, get depressed, and slide into painful decreptitude until death. The lesson is, never give up hope, never give up trying different things to get healthy, and never stop learning.

I try to avoid negative people. If a doctor tells you it's hopeless, find a more upbeat and supportive doctor. I was also told by a neurologist that my PN would get worse and worse until I couldn't walk anymore. Ha! Last week my wife and I walked for miles in San Francisco, including up and down hills and across the Golden Gate bridge and back. The PN hurt, but not to the point of agony or destroying my joy walking in that gorgeous city. This is 11 years after that bozo neuro told me the PN would be progressive.

Thanks for your great posting.