View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Newly Joined

15 yr Member
Newly Joined

15 yr Member
Default advice on operating LEDs

I looked at the spec sheet for the 1070 nm LED (Epitex part no: L1070-66-60). To operate one of these LEDs without damaging it, you really should use a 'current controlled' power supply, which can provide at least 600 mA at 7.0 V. The 'current control' feature is important, as it ensures that only the set amount of current is provided to the LED. If you don't have an electronics friend to help with this, you can buy such a supply from distributors like 'Farnell' (farnell.com). Eg the model 'TTI (THURLBY THANDAR INSTRUMENTS) EL301' (Farnell part no 488823; UK cost GBP 149 + tax; ~ USD 300) can provide upto 1 amp, at between 0 to 30 volts, which is more than adequate. Such a power supply includes digital readout of the voltage and current, which means you don't have to have additional voltmeters to check this. SETUP: 1: Before switching on the power supply, connect the red (+ve) terminal of the power supply to the 'anode' of the LED, and the black (-ve) terminal of the power supply to the 'cathode' of the LED. 2: Then ensure the voltage and current control on the power supply are initially set to zero. 3: Switch on the power supply. 4: Then slowly increase the current, eg 50 mA, 100 mA, 200 mA, 300 mA ... until you reach 600 mA. The voltage should automatically adjust itself during this process, eg the display might show the final voltage is 7.2 volts. For reference, you don't have to operate the LED at 600 mA. Eg, if you operated it at 300 mA, the LED would provide approximately half of the radiant output power (ie 30 mW instead of 60 mW). When run at 600 mA, the LED will be generating about 4W of heat. This heat needs to be dissipated, so do use the heatsink that you referred to. I hope this info has been helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5C View Post
I checked out the price on the L1070-66-60 LED sold by Marubeni that Swakandakari mentioned in his post. The cost for 1 to 9 units is $347.14 each. Heat sinks are $17.36 eqch for 1 to 9 units and lenses are $40.50, so one LED and accessories would cost around $400.00. When I heard that, I changed my plans. Instead of trying to make a helmet or headset as the patent shows, I decided to make a stationary lamp type device such as artman mentioned in his post. Assuming that a single LED would be sufficient, the total cost would probably be less than $500. I’ve already spent that on a pulsed biomagnetic device (recently ordered) so it doesn’t seem excessive. My concern, as an electronics ignoramus, is doing something that would blow out the LED and force me to spend another $350.00. Can anyone offer advice on the voltage, current, etc. that these LEDs require? It can't be as simple as just hooking it up to household current.
nigelst100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote