View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My take

It's all relative - i.e. whether it is more advantageous to use L-dopa or agonist therapy for newly diagnosed.

It's relative to age:
Can you see the rationalae behind writing an Rx carbidopa/levadopa (Siinemet) for a newdiagnosed who is 80, as opposed to a newly diagnosed age 40?

Is the 80 year old even going to live long enough to see motor coomplications of L-dopa? Not usually.

It's relative to individual patient:
Everyone is unique. Some people hallucinate on agonists - others have lower leg edema. Some get dyskinesia with 10/100 L-dopa therapy 3X a day. Others don't get dyskinesia until 50/200 6X a day.

It depends on how the individual metabolizes their medications, what they are taking along with the PD meds, and what diet and activity the individual uses.

It's relative to preferennce:
Does ann 80 year old newly diagnosed shoot for better quality of life now or later? Does the individual have a delecate system highly sensitive to medication and prefers to suffer symptoms of the disease over side-effeccts of the meds?

You understand my point by now, I hope. It is a very personal, individual choice. My charge is that you know and understand all of your options . . .
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (03-17-2008)