View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I deal with spasticity and pain in my calves and upper thighs every day. I take a combination of Soma and Klonopin now to help deal with it.

In the past I have taken Sinemet/Sinemet CR (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-41-L...-Levodopa+Oral) which helped a lot but the stomach upset side effects just got to be too much for me. The doc upped the lodosyn by 25 mgs to help with it but I decided that in combination with all the other meds I was taking that I would just switch to something else less toxic to my stomach.

I also have a B-12 deficiency which causes some of the same symptoms. I get monthly B-12 injections and can tell when it's time for my shot as the spasticity does increase.

As Judy pointed out about weekly massage, that has been a great help. I get weekly deep tissue massage by a certified massage therapist and she really knows what she is doing. She is not one of the "boutique" spa massage people. I have been going to her for about 3 years now.

It's a combination of treatments that get me through each day...it's not just one thing...you have to find what works for you. I found a percussion massager that helps at night when my feet cramp up so bad that I wake up screaming in pain b/c my toes have curled up and won't release.

So, yes...we all have our demons with this disease. We have to find what works. Baclofen did nothing for me, nor did Zanaflex.

Keep looking for what helps you. My doc was completely puzzled as well b/c what everyone needs to understand is that meds don't work the same for everyone. The Parkinson's Disease drug I mentioned above worked, but I have such a sensitive stomach, that it just wasn't the drug for me.

I also took MTX to treat my MS in conjunction with Betaserson. Did you take shots or oral? That in and of itself can make a difference.

Keep looking Jan, you will eventually find the right combination to help you.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote