View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi. Move out to the country?? That's all I would need. My friend lives out in the woods in New Jersy, and she has raccoons and animals coming up to her back porch. THAT IS NOT FOR ME. I'm a city girl. I do not like bugs. I don't think I can grow lettuce in two flower pots, but something like basil or rosemary. We have those type of little plants (available in May), I think I'll plant them. I use basil all the time in my salads, and I use rosemary on my chicken. The only problem is during the night, people come and cut thinks off of your garden.

Now picture this. I live in an italian neighborhood. Everybody has a backyard. The people who own the homes use their backyard to grow grapes off of vines. and one guy has this TREMENDOUS backyard with trees that bear fruit, vines that grow strawberries, blackberries (you have NEVER TASTED ANYTHING SO DELICIOUS), well, he grows everything. So once a year I take a walk around the corner, and when I run into him, I say: "what'd you grow this year? and he goes, oh oh , come and look. and I leave with zucchinis, peppers, blackberries (enough food for the week). My landlord then taps on my back window and gives me bunches of grapes and these green 6 feet long zucchini things that are growing from the ceiling of these viines.

See, I get the goodies, and I didn't do a thing.

I can just imagine me planting and weeding, and pushing away bugs. I think I would die. I'm such a wuss lol
I'll post pix of my garden this year.

Wait till ya see the tomatoes. I had to cut them back 3 times last year. They were as tall as the privacy fence and kept knocking the support stakes down.

I don't have a full veggie garden, but I put in what I'll use. I do several kinds of peppers, all kinds of hebs, lettuce, stuff like that. Plus 100's of flowers.

Stuff in the ground, in pots, climbing all over. It's crazy.

I came from NJ, BTW. Hate Ohio, but love nature. If you hafta be here, may as well find some reason to enjoy yourself, huh?

And you know, I really don't have too many bugs. I get butterflies ( and I love those) and bees and I need those. Some dragonflies, and those are cool. The birds are really something though - I plant specific flowers to attract hummoingbirds.

There's enough woods around where the wildlife doesn't come right up in our yards around here. Some squirrels and rabbits. and we had a snake - yuck. And we have weasels, but you'd never see them unless you were really trying - I've only seen one two times. And they eat the mice, keep the snakes away, so that's all good.

We have bald eagles fly right over the yard and that is really amazing. If I ever get a pic of that you will see it. That is one of my fave things about living here. They nest right down the street.

Speaking of birds, gotta go feed mine!