View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonr View Post
Hello,
Have stumbled across this site and was hoping someone could help me / advise.
Apologies if I am babbling/using the wrong wording for things but am only recently learning things about my pain.
I have suffered from "neck" ache for as long as I can remember, maybe the past 20 years. The pain I have always had is in that round bone at the base of my head, top of my neck - Is this the Occipital Region???

Over the past few years it has gotten a lot lot worse and it aches each and every day and makes me feed irritated, nauseous, get shooting pains, sensitive scalp.

I have had a brain and neck scan which have come back clear, so the neurologist dismissed me saying it was stress (only stress I have is my neck ache!!) and saying I have chronic migraines and wanted to prescribe antiepileptic drugs for me. I didn't have much faith in him as he said the pain in my neck region (occipital region??) was not connected to the shooting pains?!? I completely 100% disagree.

I also had an x-ray in my neck which showed my neck has lost its curve.

So confused and unhappy?

Any advise? PLEASE?
Hi sonr, sounds very much like what I get from my cervical arthritis. I suggest that you get a referral from your doctor to a rheumatologist, who will check you for arthritis.
It also sounds like a tension headache, which I also had for years. Try Mersyndol-it has pain relief with a muscle relaxant, which is vital to get things to settle down.
The pain is known as occipital neuralgia, and may have a number of causes.
In my case, it comes via nerve irritation in the neck. Pain spreads to shoulders and sometimes arms, and on the left side of the head at the lower bump between the neck and the ear, and also at the top directly above.
This is a difficult pain to shift. I had it for about 12 hours yesterday and night, was awake until 5am, then had about 11/2 hours sleep.Took painkillers all the while.
You may need anti-inflammatories, and some strong pain meds.
I also strongly suggest some muscle relaxants too as there is a lot of muscle tension added to the mix. You can get these over the counter.
You also need to look at what you are doing to cause it. In my case it was years and years of desk work, particularly computer work.
Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote