View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Z View Post
So I ask the question....how is someone going to get a vaccine to work on a disease that has no known cause? Or is this new T-cell peptide just another drug to alter the immune system in MS patients in the hope of trying yet another medication.

Harry

Hi Harry,

I think this is another of the vaccines programmed to inhibit certain autoreactive T cells from functioning against MBP. This isn't a vaccine against a foreign target, it works to limit T-cells that act against myelin. It won't be a vaccine that everyone takes to avoid MS like most vaccines do, it will be given to people with MS to eliminate the bad T-cells.

The results of all of the vaccine programs have been extremely positive, as lady express pointed out. MSer's have a much higher proportion of certain T-cells known to react to MBP. So broadening the net of which T-cells are inhibited or eliminated by a vaccine will protect even further the immune response against myelin. The fact that they're tailored to each specific patient using their own blood is good too.

I'm excited about this kind of research, and the early trials seem to show continued positive effect for those that have been enrolled in these vaccine trials for many years now. They seem to have stabilized their disease.
wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote