Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
What a cool idea for a thread!

Okay, we're considering building a house on a lot with a bunch of trees. Some were in the way and so we had them removed; but an old, unhealtlhy-looking, smallish apple tree is still there. I know a diligent gardener would spray for those dern moths, but we tend not to be real diligent.

I think the trunk got beat up because no one ever properly pruned it, so (my guess) it has been the victim of years of neglect. There are still some other trees, including Potawatamie (sp) plums and poplars(?) And the ever-(un)popular Chinese elms.

Is it hopeless? Can you recommend therapy?

Save it or Saw it?
Fruit trees take a lot of attention, and yes, they must be sprayed with dormant oil unless you like bugs eating the fruit every year. They also take a lot of pruning in order to get fruit. 1/3 each year. Apples and Plums are pruned the same way.

There is no easy way to describe how to prune fruit trees. My suggestion is to go to your local nursery and/or bookstore and get a book, Sunset has some great ones on Fruit Trees, and read up on them. They come complete with diagrams.

Poplars are great windbreaks but are messy and have a lot of roots. If you start taking them out you are going to end up with a mess, and I do mean a mess. You cannot just cut them off at the ground. You will end up stimulating more sucker growth and have more populars than you would if you just left them undisturbed. Taking out populars requires stump grinding. But it is well worth it in the short run....

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (03-19-2008)