View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeyes View Post
Long story short (if I ever can,ha!ha!)I was DXed with nodules,while being DXed with hypothryroidism several yrs before that.
It didn't take a rocket scientist to know I was hypothyroid for many years,docs only relied on blood work sooooooo I never got the right treatment,just was told my symptoms were probably due to depression.
Years of struggles,etc. proved I was right they were wrong,wasted my time and mind with mis DX and wrong meds. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
I'm sure many people have the same story or similar.
It's a common disease,treatable and yet millions are left to suffer,everyday becomes a struggle,no energy,just feeling physically miserable,no wonder depression occurs, duh?
I am bitter right now towards my former and present doc(s) and waiting for followup bloodwork,dose of Synthroid was increased to 50mcgs from 25mcg,with hope the nodules may shrink (after my next ultrasound results will show) so far it's been since August, I feel more tired and constant feeling of PMS,even increased facial skin oiliness like during PMS. I am so sluggish,worse than before.
Has anyone had this happen? Is the other alternative,Armour thyroid med. more efficient.?
I will be calling endicrinologist's office to see what the tests showed.
I had left a message about the med and the ongoing fatigue and no changes in other physical issues, the new doc (I wanted the one referred to in Aug bu she was booked,she has a good long reputation)left me a message saying if tests show "normal", to then take my health problems up with my GP, Grrrrrrrr!
The GP is the one that sent me for the ultrasound,they sent me to the endocrinologist,she further DXes me with Hashimoto's disease,etc. and now she seems she will be blowing me off?
What the heck,she hasn't tried other thyroid meds,didn't do further test, though she said she would do an aspiration of nodules,that the radio dye test isn't as good.
Sorry, this turned out to be too long, but if anyone has had this happen, did your docs try new meds? Did they help?
Thanks in advance,
DE
I was dx'd with Hashimoto's in about 1994. My symptoms were falling asleep in the middle of the day; I'd just feel overwhelmingly tired.

My family doc sent me to an excellent endocrinologist and he did a scan of the thyroid (forget the name, but they inject radioactive iodine) and that showed the problem.

I was started out on .75mcg of Synthroid. Then up to .88mcg (several years later) and now I'm on 100 mcg.

It's quite a balancing act.

I've moved twice since seeing my endocrinologist and I am not too happy with the doctor who watches over me now. It's my GP. He solely relies on bloodwork. I asked him about an endocrinologist and he said I don't need one....

hmmmm.

If you have Hashimotos then you have a goiter; is that right in your case?

The synthroid should diminish it.

As to the Armour...my doctors all think that is not a good idea. That has been the consensus of opinion from all docs I've gone to.

Good Luck; it is a constant battle (our health) thats for sure.

Tootsie