View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks CayoKay.

It's still hard to come to a conclusion on this as more patients are on it now than in 1998 so numbers would increase.

Also, the outcome of people having serious health issues/disabilities and not death has also increased (see CayoKay's link on the findings). However, I would say (JMHO) it was the MS itself on the disability factor and not a contribution from the actual med that increased disability.

I still think since it is listed with multiple meds that can alter a person's thought process that the warning here is on the depression. This is generally expressed in almost anything you read on the Interferon-Beta. So just a warning for all to be aware of that potential and seek help if necessary.

Betaseron has been out for 17 years, so does anyone know how many years a med would have to be out for the FDA or other agency to find out the long term effects of a med? This is actually one of the reasons why I chose Betaseron as my mother has always drilled into me that if you have to take meds, to go w/the one that has been out longer (been successful)and has more info available.

Thanks!!!