View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca123 View Post
It is a relief to find this page. For the last 20 years, I have had dyshidrotic Eczema. However, I only read today that it may be due to nickel allergies. I have a swollen tongue quite often, where it feels difficult to annunciate clearly. I get the rash on my hands. I stopped taking vitamins when I ran out, and bought a new brand only to find that I broke out in a rash. I've been trying to rule out specific vitamins I may be allergic to.

I have had rashes all over my arms for years. Never TOO severe, but annoying. Long sleeves in summer and all that. Anyway, yesterday in a fit of PMS, I ate nearly an entire box of chocolate (Valentine's Day gift). Now, I eat chocolate all the time, but in small quantities, spread out throughout the week. I never saw a correlation with chocolate and rashes. But today, when I woke up to hands covered in blisters, I started wondering.

I will try Centrum (regular adult formula) as recommended. I will also eat a lot of cilantro (I had no idea it helps leech nickel out of the body). I do not wear any jewelry, but will be sure my boyfriend buys me platinum I will also look into buying new pans, or cooking in my teflon lined ones.

So, a couple questions:
1) How can I find out if a vitamin has nickel added? Will it be on the label?
2) Do lotions and makeup have nickel in them? I know I cannot use most "natural" oils. No almond, shea butter, coco butter, olive oil, etc. But I also seem to be extremely sensitive to most fragrances. Is this an entirely separate issue?
3) Other than cilantro, are there supplements that can help remove nickel from foods?
4) Where is a list of the foods with the highest nickel concentrations?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I would definitely see a dermatologist. Ask them to do a patch test. I had it done and I was diagnosed with mutiple contact allergies-nickle, cobalt, cinnamon, blue-9 (used in any clothing that is blue, purple, grey or black) and fragrance. The fragrance one is really big. I have had to change a lot of things. Deoderant, soap, lotions, detergents, makeup and hair products. The hair products have been the hardest to change because there are only a few brands that make a fragrance free shampoo and conditioner. Nobody makes hair spray. Also, just because the label says it is fragrance free doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have fragrance. There are a bunch of chemicals that are actually a fragrance additive. Benzyl Alcohol is the one I have seen the most in the labels that is a fragrance additive. My first time shopping after finding out I spent 2 hours just in the beauty department reading labels. Target sells a brand called Method. The Go Naked "flavor" is great! There is no dyes or fragrances in it. It has hand soap, dish soap, surface cleaner and surface wipes. I don't have any problems now when I wash dishes!!!

I do have the nickle diet too. I haven't been following yet. But basically, no leafy vegatables (i.e lettuce), beans, nuts, canned fruits and veggies, wheat products.
buffettchick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote