View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'cs View Post
Your dad has dementia, or something close to it. I' sorry to say this and i'm putting myself out on a limb saying this, but from what you have described, there leaves little doubt of the outcome.
A PWP who does not have dementia does not have such a significant personality change such as you've described. If your mom feels the way she does after so many years of marrriage, then he does have a problem.
Best to get him some professional help. This will avoid both him turning violently on you or you marginalizing him because of his anti-social behavior. This is one of the BIG usually suppressed problems with PWP; especially the elderly. There is no excuse for your father to treat you and your family this way, but remember he doesn't mean it; he just doesn't know what is happpening to him. Don't sweep this under the carpet, it will only get worse. With time and counseling, there is a chance that he may learn that his behavior is wrong and he may be able to put a lid on it, for all of your sakes.
I am sorry to hear that he has turned this way on your family. It is very diffiicult to deal with and a burden on ALL of you.
Thank you CS. I will try my best to get him some professional help. He doesn't have Parkinson's, but has been exposed to Tolulene and other chemicals in the past. He was a graphic artist and used those smelly markers to do layouts with. I wonder if this has anything to do with his problem now.

At any rate, we as a family will have to work on this together. We love him dearly, and as an elder he has our respect too so we have to do this as tactfully possible. This is indeed frustrating for my mom as she never thought things would come to this level. They were pretty close emotionally up until recently, and I think this has had a lot to do with that.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote